For Your Health
Ask the Fitness Pro
Nan's World
Planning Matters
Community Calendar  
Town Hall News
Mayor's Desk
From the Mailbox
About Us
Contact Info
Town Hall News

Town Hall News

As published March 2, 2011


The following meetings will be held at town hall unless otherwise noted:

March 2 – Water and Sewer Commission, 7 p.m.
March 7 – Town Council, 7:30 p.m.
March 9 – Planning Commission Workshop, 7 p.m.
March 16 – Recycling and Sanitation Commission, 7 p.m.
March 17 – Board of Parks and Recreation, 7:30 p.m.


Water bills are past due. If you have not received yours please call town hall at 301-829-1424.


Complaints about alleged code violations may be forwarded to the attention of the Town Code Enforcement Officer, David Ricklis, either in person at town hall or by mail, e-mail, or telephone.

Complaints are addressed in the order that they are received and it should be noted that action may not be taken on anonymous complaints. It is the policy of this office that the identities of those filing such complaints will be maintained in the strictest confidence. Email to dricklis@mountairymd.com.


Town Hall has numerous commission vacancies. Contact Debbie Brennan or Monika Weierbach at 301-829-1424 if interested in volunteering.


Snow Emergency – Vehicles need to be off of town streets to allow town employees to plow.

The council passed Ordinance 1996-2, entitled “Snow Emergencies”, and amended it with Ordinance 2005-1.

When the state or Frederick County or Carroll County declares a snow emergency, the mayor of Mt. Airy also automatically declares a snow emergency. When a snow emergency is declared, if your vehicle/boat trailer, etc. is parked on a town street you could receive a $100 fine. There will be no additional notice given on the day of inclement weather to the residents by radio, etc.

• During the period of a snow emergency, any vehicle previously parked on a town street shall be moved as promptly as possible to any available off-street parking available for the owner of the vehicle (driveways, parking pads, etc.). No vehicles shall be newly parked on town streets.

• Violation of this ordinance can result in a fine of $100.

• Even if a snow emergency is not called for the town, move your vehicles off the street so the town employees can clear your streets thoroughly. The entire ordinance is available at Town Hall or on the town website under the Town Code.


Portable basketball stands need to be moved back from the curb and off of the streets and placed behind the sidewalk to prevent them from being hit by the snowplows.

§ 85-4.1. SIDEWALK SNOW REMOVAL [Added 6-7-2004 by Ord. No. 2004-3]

Owners and occupants of premises fronting upon any street with paved sidewalks shall remove snow and ice from the traveled portions of the sidewalk to a width of at least 30 inches within 24 hours after any precipitation event producing such snow or ice shall end. For purposes of this section, the term “sidewalk” shall refer to that paved portion of a street between the curb line, or the lateral lines of a roadway where there is no curb, and the adjacent property line, intended for the use of pedestrians.

Violators of this section may be issued a municipal infraction punishable by a fine of $25 for the first offense and $50 for each subsequent offense. Each day on which the sidewalk shall not be cleared as required shall constitute a separate municipal infraction.


When cleaning your sidewalk or driveway after town staff has plowed your street, do not put the snow back in the street.


In accordance with Carroll County Humane Society’s code, the owner of every animal shall be responsible for the removal of any excreta deposited by the animal(s) on public property, including walks, recreation areas, or on private property. The owner of every animal shall not allow excreta deposited by animals to accumulate on his or her property so as to cause a health hazard or become a nuisance.


If you see someone other than a fire truck taking water from a town fire hydrant, call the police at 301-829-0218 or town hall at 301-829-1424.


Town residents are asked to make sure your house number is on your residence to aid in identification for emergency services and public utility repairs.


Remember to check out the Mt. Airy website, mountairymd.org, to find out about town meetings, town budget, permits, agendas, new proposals, committee vacancies and appointments, new resident information, business and church listings, trash and recycling collection, civic and service organizations, festivals and events, and more.


Radio stations to listen to are: Frederick Co. WFMD (fm) 93.0; WFRE 99.9 (fm), WAFY-Key 103.1 (fm). Carroll County stations –- WGTY 107.7 (fm); GRX 100.7 (fm); YCR 98.5 (fm); WHVR 1280 (am); GET 1320 (am); BAL 1090 (am); WTTR 1470 (am).

When there is any type of an emergency (such as a hurricane, ice storm and electric is out, etc.), listen to the radio stations listed above and television stations Channel 2, Fox 45, WJZ and Channel 13 for other emergency information pertaining to Frederick or Carroll counties.


Recycling needs to be free and clear of contaminates.

You are able to recycle plastic grocery bags; however, do not have items in these bags.

The town has an oil recycling center located in front of the Maintenance Building on Prospect Road. Do not place oil in bags for trash or recycling pick up.


The contractor for the town's residential and commercial "hand pick ups" solid waste and recycling services is Key Sanitation Inc. Call the 24-hour service line, 301-668-8282, in the event you wish to report a problem regarding service. When no one is available to take your call, leave a message and you will receive a response within 24 hours. Please call with your problem as soon as possible.

If you have questions regarding what is recyclable, call town hall. On the web, visit mdrecycles.org to see how to close the recycling loop. Secure your recyclables so they do not blow throughout the neighborhood.


Carroll County town residents have trash picked up on Tuesdays (except for Nottingham subdivision) and recycling picked up on Wednesdays. Frederick County town residents' recycling is picked every other Wednesday (by Frederick County Recycling) and trash is picked up on Fridays. Nottingham Subdivision trash picked up on Fridays.

Trash and recycling for the entire town needs to be put out before 6 a.m. the day of pick up.

Use trashcans with tight lids. This will help keep animals out of the trash and reduce the chance of trash blowing around neighborhoods on windy days. Put trash in bags in containers. No loose trash please. Bags not in containers please tie securely. Remember to secure recyclables too. Using a paper grocery bag is a great alternative to bundling paper.

If you are a new resident or just want more information on recycling in Mt. Airy, call town hall or visit the web site. Listed below is what can be recycled:

Containers: Aluminum/Steel - Food/beverage cans, foil, and pie plates. Plastic Bottles - All plastic bottles are acceptable except motor oil bottles and antifreeze bottles. No plastic plant containers. Glass Bottles & Jars - Food/beverage and bottles (all colors). These items can be mixed together in blue bins and satellite center containers.

Paper - Newspaper, junk mail, writing/computer paper, magazines, envelopes, catalogs under 1", phone books, boxboard (cereal type boxes). Cardboard - Corrugated cardboard, must be flattened and no larger than 2.5' x 2.5', tape or tie in 6" bundles, no wax coated boxes.

Key Sanitation, Inc. our solid waste and recycling contractor, has provided this information. If you have any questions, call Key Sanitation Inc. at 301-668-8282.


If you see a street light that is out or flickering, report it to town hall as soon as possible. Feel free to call after hours and leave a message on the recorder or e-mail it to town hall at ANiner@mountairymd.org. Be sure to give the street light location, your name and phone number, and if possible the pole number. The pole number is on a silver plate on the pole, and starts with F.

Allegheny Power takes care of repairing the lights and it takes two to three weeks.


Reminder to all residents to contact the town hall before making any building changes to your property; a building permit may be needed.


Before making an emergency call to town hall regarding a water leak, etc., after hours, make sure it is a real emergency that can’t wait until town staff is at work.


Carroll County's Rape Crisis Intervention Service is located at 224 North Center Street, Room 102. The 24-hour hotline is 410-857-7322, the Carroll County office number is 410-876-9147 or 410-857-0900. For local Rape Crisis Intervention Service, contact Town Hall, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. All inquiries are confidential.


Maryland Relay Service allows individuals with hearing impairments to call an 800 number and use the operator to place a call to a non-TDD-equipped office or home. The operator will stay on the line to allow the deaf person to communicate with the call recipient. The phone number for the Maryland Relay Service is 800-735-2258. If you have a hearing impairment and need the services of Mt. Airy Town Hall, you may call the above 800 number.

Mt. Airy Town Hall
P.O. Box 50
110 South Main Street
Mt. Airy, MD 21771